Monday, March 14, 2011

Blueberry Blues

It only took an extra day, but the blueberries have been planted. I ordered two Climax and two Premium, for cross-pollination and for different ripening times. Rather than four plants, I had seven. Thank you TyTy Nursery! This all sounds very good, doesn't it, so why have I titled this post "Blueberry blues" you might ask. Well, that is because somehow Anthony lost my camera after taking a picture of me setting the blocks for the blueberry bed. I am not a happy camper, and that is not the photo I would have taken for the blog--it is a stock photo. Our bushes look like sticks right now; a few twigs have buds on them. If you live in Alabama, you can find information on planting blueberry bushes (anything for that matter) on the Alabama Cooperative Extension System's website.

The blueberry bushes are planted in the front row and should give us some beautiful fall color and some privacy screening once they are established. Something to look forward to.

We also planted four raspberry bushes in the backyard. If we can fight the birds and get them first, we should have blueberries, raspberries, and figs harvested from our yard next summer. If we get any berries this year, they might be only enough for one or two yogurt breakfasts.

I still haven't planted those tomato seeds; maybe tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment