Saturday, March 19, 2011

First Fruits




Waiting for the moon; and by all accounts, this super moon should be worth the wait. Be that as it may, it doesn't help me get my garden planted. As I wait--both anxiously and eagerly, I'm enjoying seeing glimpses of the future bounty. This tiny fig, I hope, will join others in a manchego cheese, prosciutto, and fig sandwich later in the summer. If both produce well, and I can beat the birds to the bounty, I hope to make fig preserves this year. Maybe my friend Glenna's mother will share her recipe.

You can also see the blueberry bushes that caused such a problem last weekend. They've been pruned and have blossoms. Today, we bought four strawberry plants to add to the two already planted in the same bed.


I had seedlings to show, too, but I can't get my pictures to cooperate--they want to bunch together despite being added at different times. So for now, this will do.

Tomorrow begins the waning moon, and it will be a good day to plant my potatoes, beets, and carrots.

If you have a minute, watch the video clip from NASA about super moons.




No comments:

Post a Comment