Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Scones Anyone?

I really don't remember when I first started making scones, but I always associate them with the little girl–now a young woman–who grew up two doors away and was a friend of our youngest daughter. Bri would burst through the door after school, walk over to the pantry first and the refrigerator second to see what might be available for a snack. I never minded because to me, she was like one of my own. If there were ever scones in the house, that was her preference.

Bri grew up, as children are apt to do, and went away to college; she just graduated this summer. While away, she would send notice that she would be home for the holidays or for the summer, and she wanted scones. She still loves them. Bri told me the scones came in handy this past Christmas when she was stranded at the airport trying to get back to school. They eased the pain of flight delay.

These are incredibly easy to make (so I'm sure my husband wonders why I don't make them more often). Similar to a buttermilk biscuit, they are the perfect canvas for dried fruits and nuts. I use a basic recipe and vary it slightly to accommodate the dried fruit I have on hand. A recipe is fairly small, making only about 10 at a time, but they are gone in a flash.

I've had this recipe for so long, I don't know where to give proper credit. Enjoy!

Buttermilk Scones

3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon orange or lemon zest
additional melted butter for brushing scone tops
1/2 cup dried fruit

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, placing rack in the center of the oven.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar.
3. Drop in pats of cold butter and blend using either your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
4. Add dried fruit and zest, and pour in the buttermilk. I tend to use lemon zest with dried blueberries and orange zest–if I have an orange–with dried cranberries. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mix is moistened. Don't over do it, or you'll have tough scones. The dough should be soft.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly–no more than a dozen turns should do.
6. With a rolling pin, roll into about a 3/4-inch round 7-8 inches in diameter and slice into wedges. I usually do about 10-12.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. I usually set the timer for about 13 minutes and check them. When they're a nice golden brown, they're ready to set onto you cooling rack for as long as you resist the temptation to eat them!

You can dust them with sugar or make a glaze, but I don't bother with that as they are wonderful all on their own.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment