Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas

Who started the ugly rumor that vegetarian fare is boring? Maybe they were force-fed unseasoned, monochromatic meals or a litany of canned bland "vegetables". I'm here to politely, but strenuously disagree!

While I will admit that cooking vegetarian meals can be time consuming in the preparation stage, to me, such meals are full of color, flavor, and texture. You can also find shortcuts that don't sacrifice taste.

Sunday we went to a music show in Waverly, which doubled as a pot luck supper. I brought a pot of spicy baked beans with meat and the sweet potato empanadas, hoping to satisfy both carnivores and herbivores! Empanadas are perfect fare for parties and outdoor picnics because they are so portable and easy to eat.

Their portability wasn't the only reason I chose to make these crusty pockets of flavor. When I stepped into the garden, I found that my poblano pepper plant had finally produced a couple of peppers, and I immediately thought of this recipe, which is adapted from Cooking Light. If I had more time Sunday, I would have made my own black beans and pie crust, but I used a time-saver: organic canned black beans and a good quality pre-packaged pie crust. The recipe doesn't make a huge amount. I was able to get a baker's dozen, but the recipe says it makes 10 empanadas. Next time you need finger food, give this a try; I think you'll enjoy them.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas

1 poblano chile
1 Tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted
1 large cooked sweet potato, mashed (app. 1 cup)
1 cup black beans, rinsed and mashed
1/3 cup chopped green onion
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. Place poblano on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 8 minutes or until blackened, turning after 6 minutes. Place in a plastic or paper bag; close tightly and let stand for 15 minutes. Peel skin from chile; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Chop finely.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

3. Cook cumin seeds in a small pan over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted, stirring constantly. Place cumin in a clean spice grinder, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle; process/grind until ground. Combine cumin, poblano, sweet potato (which I baked in the oven earlier), and next 6 ingredients (through salt).

4. Turn out pie crust onto a lightly floured board and smooth out. Cut one (5-inch) circle at a time, covering remaining dough to keep from drying. I used a glass pyrex bowl about 4.5 inches in diameter. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of poblano mixture into center of each circle. Moisten edge of dough with egg; fold dough over filling. Press edges together to seal. Place empanadas on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut 3 diagonal slits across top of each empanada. Bake at 400 degrees for about 16 minutes or until lightly browned.

Voila! Portable pockets of deliciousness!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment