Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Flavorful Chill

I've made ice cream before (I wrote about strawberry ice cream back in April), but I've never made an ice cream that was custard-based until today. Yes, it may be a little bit more trouble, but the rich flavor is worth the effort.

I started this recipe 6 hours before I needed it–any less time would have made me anxious. This recipe uses five egg yolks. I separated the egg, putting yolks in the ramekin and the whites in a freezer container for an egg-white omelet in the future.

Vanilla Bean Custard Ice Cream
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
pinch salt
1 whole vanilla bean, halved and seeds scraped
5 large egg yolks
1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together milk, cream, half of the sugar, salt, and the scraped vanilla bean (including the pod). Bring the mixture just to a boil.

2. While the milk/cream mixture is heating, combine yolks and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk until the mixture is pale and thick. This will help thicken the custard as well as give it a rich, delicious taste.

3. Once the milk/cream mixture has come to a slight boil (I watched until it started to roll slightly beneath the surface), whisk about 1/3 of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another 1/3 of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. DO NOT boil or the yolks will overcook–the process should take only a few minutes.

4. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer (toss out the vanilla pod) and bring to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

5. Pour the mixture into your ice cream freezer and follow the manufacturer's instructions. The ice cream will have a smooth, creamy texture. If you want a firmer texture, pour the ice cream into a freezer-proof container and freeze for a minimum of two hours.


I have a Cuisinart automatic ice cream maker that makes this such an easy process. So far this year, it is my favorite kitchen toy!

Hmm. Hot apple crisp with a scoop of the rich, custardy ice cream would be divine! I guess October isn't too late for ice cream after all!

Bon appetit!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it's fate! I have been participating in Haiku-Heights 30 day challenge and clicked on your writing blog. Saw you had another blog and here it is and I've been looking for an ice cream recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!

    To be truthful I'm a bit on poetry overload from 30 days of Haiku's but I"M NEVER ON FOOD overload!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found me! This is a delicious recipe. I hope you come back for more (and join as well!) If you're ever looking for something in particular, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this blog.. I too enjoy food. Will keep visiting it.

    Cheers!
    Food from India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Indi! I joined your food blog just now. Indian food is something i love to eat but haven't cooked, so I'm thrilled to find you as a resource!

    ReplyDelete